Looking for a Monday dessert ❤️ save this one
The best vegan, GF, DF cupcakes around if you are a red velvet fan you will love this one!
~ Choc-Beetroot Cupcakes ~
- 150 g cooked beetroot (reserve a few tbsp of cooking liquid to colour icing)
- 6 vegan eggs (e.g Flax egg/ chia seed egg)
- 175 g coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 175 g plain flour
- 50 g cacao powder
- 2.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp beetroot powder @meraki_superfoods
- 100 g coconut yoghurt
- 100 g dark choc chips
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1/2 cup dairy free spread (eg nuttelex)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Reserved beetroot juice
- Beetroot powder @meraki_superfoods
1. Preheat oven to 180° & line / spray cupcake moulds.
2. Finely chop cooked beetroot in 1/2 cm cubes (save time & pulse in a food processor), then set aside.
3. Beat (using a stand or hand mixer) eggs/aquafaba, sugar & vanilla or 4 minutes or until light & fluffy. Sift in flour, baking powder, cacao & beetroot powder, then fold through. Add reserved chopped beetroot, yoghurt & choc chips, folding until just combined.
4. Scoop mix into cupcake moulds & bake for 15-20mins (or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted in centre). Allow to cool in moulds.
5. Prepare icing in a stand or hand mixer by beating icing sugar & spread/butter until firm. Stop mixer & slowly add 1/2 tsp amounts of beetroot juice & beetroot powder, beating for 10-20seconds after each addition until desired colour is achieved. If you find you add too much juice & icing goes runny, add additional icing sugar to firm it back up.
6. Spoon icing into piping bag & pipe on top of each cupcake. Sprinkle with additional beetroot powder (if desired) & store in airtight container in fridge for 3-5 days.
Nat @nataliemewing made the best batch of cupcakes using Un Beet Able beet powder..